Recent Posts

Monday, February 7, 2011

Snow can wait, I forgot my mittens...

I feel so ridiculous posting song lyrics as post titles, but I've been so melodramatic lately, that it just seems to fit...

We've had an absolutely obscene amount of snow here in the past few weeks.  It's causing roofs to collapse, the roads aren't being plowed properly, and there's talk of taking away vacation days from kids who've hit the jackpot in snow days.

I don't mind, of course, because I love winter.  I love the snow, the cold, the smell of the air.  I woke up on my birthday, with a fresh coating of pure white, and was in complete heaven.  We haven't had this much snow since I was twelve, and it's making me a bit nostalgic when I look at the plowed snow banks that skyrocketed above my 5'2" height weeks ago.  As a student at UMaine, one of my favorite things was walking to class in the freezing cold with a few feet of snow on the ground.  I don't know what it is, but it just gives me a sense of complete peace and calm, and I feel at ease with myself and my surroundings. I still love being outside first thing in the morning after a snow storm; even the small act of walking to my car puts me instantly in a good mood.  Call me crazy...

My camera has been staring at me for the past few weeks, increasing the amount of guilt I've been feeling for not uploading photos from its memory card, so I wanted to post these pics I took during one of the storms, when I trekked down to the Gore Estate, a historic mansion down the street from our apartment.  It was a beautiful afternoon, and the snow was the type that sticks to everything. I'm still (embarassingly enough) working on figuring out the settings on my camera, so these were edited in Picnik, which I've found to be a lifesaver for fixing my amateur photos. 


 
blog comments powered by Disqus

Followers