Recent Posts

Monday, September 13, 2010

A Farewell to Peaches.

 image from here.
 A couple of months ago, while reading an issue of House Beautiful Magazine, I came across a cookbook review for Miss Dahl's Voluptuous Delights: Recipes for Every Season, Mood and Appetite, by Sophie Dahl.  I was intrigued by the interview, but what really convinced me to go purchase the book that day, was her recipe for Cinnamon Roast Peaches.  This recipe is easy.  And Delicious (with a capital D).  I've been making it throughout the summer, and am sad to say that I think that this past weekend will have been my last foray with this recipe for a while, as peaches are past peak.  (Although, I couldn't resist buying some more peaches on sale at Whole Foods this weekend, so I guess I'll make the recipe at least once more!)  
I don't follow the recipe exactly, but since it's pretty loosey-goosey to begin with, it's difficult to screw these up.  I once tried substituting nectarines, because, quite frankly, fuzzy peach skins sometimes enliven my gag reflex, but the substitution really wasn't as good as the peaches.  I think that this recipe could be great with apple wedges or pear halves in the fall/winter, when peaches are no longer in season, but don't take my word for it.   
Cinnamon Roast Peaches
adapted from Miss Dahl's Voluptuous Delights
2 peaches, ripe but firm
Cinnamon
Brown Sugar
Butter
Greek Yogurt (I prefer Vanilla)
Honey, optional
Preheat oven to 450 degrees.  Halve the peaches, removing the pits, but keeping the halves generally intact.  Place peaches in a roasting pan, and sprinkle each half with cinnamon and brown sugar, then top with a small dab of butter. Roast in the oven 10 minutes, or until the peaches are soft and the butter has melted.  Serve warm with a dollop (or two) of yogurt.  Alternatively, you could sweeten the yogurt with a drizzle of honey, but I prefer the contrast of the tangy yogurt with the sweet peaches.

blog comments powered by Disqus

Followers