Recent Posts

Monday, March 14, 2011

The Big Wave.

I remember reading the story The Big Wave, by Pearl S. Buck, when I was in the fourth grade.  Upon hearing the news of the earthquake and resulting tsunami in Japan this past Friday, my thoughts, after immediately worrying about my coworkers and the people of Japan, went to the book. 

Essentially, the book is about two boys who are friends, one a mountainside farmer, the other a fisherman.  A tsunami hits the fishing village and wipes away one boy's family, who is then adopted by the farming family and tries to assume a new life with his adopted family.  In the end, when the fishing boy comes of age, he decides to return to the life of a fisherman, against the warning of his mountain-dwelling friend, and poignantly verbalizes the moral of the story: that it is only in the face of danger that one finds bravery and the appreciation of how wonderful life is. 

When I begin to think about people who live in "disaster prone areas," like the Pacific Ring of Fire, or next to volcanoes (et al.), I can't help but think that I wouldn't  be able to handle living in constant fear of something bad happening.  I would worry incessantly (more than I already do, if you can believe it).  I feel like I have a very good grasp on the concept of mortality and the fleeting nature of life, but I can't say that I would ever be able to stand in the face of danger, like these people do on a daily basis, and be ok

Regardless, my heart is so, very heavy with all the terrible news coming from Japan, and while my words can offer little solace in their current situation, I can say, undoubtedly, that they are much braver than I will ever be. 


::::::::::::::::::: The Citizen Effect :::::::::::::::::::
::::::::  Other Earthquake Relief Options  ::::::::
:::::::::  Lady Gaga Japan Relief Bracelet  :::::::::




I have been in the process of compiling a post about candied orange peel, but just can't bear to finish writing about something so frivolous at the moment.  It will come in time, however.
blog comments powered by Disqus

Followers