Recent Posts

Monday, June 14, 2010

It's Complicated... but not really.

This past Sunday, I spent the day catching up on movies I've been wanting to see for a while.  It was an A+ movie day for me, as I couldn't have asked for better movies that were selected on a whim.  I love searching through our Netflix queue and picking movies of which I've never heard, but look and sound like something I'd love.  Of course, one of Netflix's greatest assests, is that they recommend movies to you based on your ratings of other movies, so I guess I wasn't just picking them blindly.  The movie I had heard mixed reviews about but ended up loving was It's Complicated

It was funny and romantic and a little bit sad all at the same time, but not too overpowering in any way.  There were a few scenes that had me laughing hysterically, and others that really left me with a little twang in my heart.  It's what I guess you could call a romantic dramedy.  If any of you have seen Something's Gotta Give, it's very similar in style (since they were both written and directed by Nancy Meyers), but better (in my opinion).  Don't get me wrong; I love Diane Keaton and especially Jack Nicholson, but the screen chemistry between Meryl Streep, Alec Baldwin, and Steve Martin (and even John Krasinski who sometimes annoys me) was surprisingly fantastic.  If any of you have seen previews, you already know that it's about a love triangle between Meryl, Steve, and Alec.  Without a doubt, Meryl steals the screen, but Alec Baldwin comes through with a really emotional and vulnerable side that is irresistible, and Steve Martin is the perfect foil to Alec Baldwin.  I'm seriously considering purchasing the DVD to add to my collection.

The thing that struck me the most about the movie was the set decor.  I absolutely fell in love with Meryl Streep's kitchen and garden (and her bakery, not pictured here, isn't too shabby either):


 
 
images from here and here

While the garden is gorgeous, but completely impossible for even the most skilled gardener to accomplish single-handedly, the kitchen could easily be reproduced with some money and the correct location (good lighting is of the essence here).  What I love most about the kitchen are the marble island in the middle, the great window with room for small, potted herbs, and the display of assorted plates and cake stands.  It's a realistic design for a kitchen owned by someone who loves to cook or bake, as all the necessary tools and equipment are visible, within easy reach, and well organized. 

From around the web, I've found a couple of things that would easily reproduce the look of this kitchen, but to my own taste (obv.):

French Kitchen Island, Crate & Barrel

Harmon Pendant, Restoration Hardware

Scalloped Cake Stands, Williams Sonoma
 
Mauviel Copper Sautee Pan, Williams Sonoma

Of course, in an ideal world, these items would all be in the "low to cheap as dirt" price range, but as is usually my forte, I have chosen items that are on the more expensive end of the spectrum.  *le sigh*

Oh well.  It's nice to dream, right?  On second thought, I will have a kitchen that I absolutely love someday.  I will.  Even if it takes me years and years of saving pennies.

Anyway, I highly recommend the film to anyone looking for a good movie to watch on a lazy afternoon (and James even liked it, so it's not just a chick flick), as well as 84 Charing Cross Rd. (Anne Bancroft and Anthony Hopkins!!), and Dear Zachary: A Letter to A Son About his Father (really, really sad, but so powerful). 

I feel bad shortchanging the other two movies, because I can't stress how fabulous they are as well... Seriously, A+ movie day. 
blog comments powered by Disqus

Followers