Recent Posts

Monday, June 8, 2009

Blueberry Coconut "Scuffins"

I've been somewhat restless lately. I have felt the need to take on a lot of projects around the apartment, which is a good thing, because it's much needed. After reading this post the other day, I had my mind made up that I would make these. I thought that I would change the recipe a little to fit my tastes, which include a hint of citrus.

*note: I am famous (and famously teased) for always complaining that the petite vanilla scones at Starbucks need "a hint of lemon." I don't know why this is funny, but apparently it makes me the center of merciless teasing and jokes... *

My go-to scone recipe is one from Williams-Sonoma. I use it as a base, then add in my own flavors. For Christmas, I made some lemon-cranberry scones, and they were seriously good. I decided to combine the two recipes a bit to see how it would turn out. I made three batches...

In the first one, I used dried blueberries and light coconut milk. Those are the lighter, non-purple ones. They were ok, but I felt that they were lacking in coconut flavor, and I wasn't crazy about the dried blueberries. This batch is definitely more scone-like, because I omitted the egg (because I didn't have any in the house).

The second time around, Chef James told me that I should have used cream of coconut instead of coconut milk. So, I stuck to my W-S recipe to the T, substituting cream of coconut for heavy cream, and adding an extra 1/4 c of coconut milk for liquid. The flavor is much better in the purple batch, but they tend to fall apart. Neither flavors were what I thought they would be. I don't think I used enough lemon zest in either recipe. The W-S recipe calls for the addition of one egg. I think that this plus the extra coconut milk makes these much more muffin-like. The consistency is very moist, and more airy, much like a muffin or coffee cake, but they don't have enough lemon! They've been a hit at work today, though, so I guess they're not too bad.







W-S Recipe (purple-y muffin-scones):

2 c flour
4 tbsp sugar
3 tsp baking soda
1 stick butter
1/2 c cream of coconut
1 egg
1/4 c light coconut milk
3/4c blueberries (Wyman's frozen)
1/4c shredded coconut
1 1/2 tsp lemon zest


Recipe from 17 and Baking:

2c flour
1/4c sugar
3 tbsp baking soda
1 stick butter
1 c light coconut milk
1/2 c dried blueberries
1/3 c shredded coconut
1 tsp lemon zest

I sprinkled sugar in the raw on the tops before baking both batches -- a necessary last minute touch, in my opinion!





My mini scone pan from Williams-Sonoma is so convenient! The scones come out perfectly shaped and sized every time. I highly recommend it!

* all photos by me.
blog comments powered by Disqus

Followers