Recent Posts

Friday, June 11, 2010

Rainy Days and Mondays...

my balcony "garden"

... are the two types of days that have the potential for putting me in a bad mood.  Yesterday was just one of those days.  It was rainy and I was cranky. On my way home from work, a flurry of pet peeves went flying through my brain at an astronomical rate, so that when I actually got home, I was teetering on the precipice between wrath and aggravation.  For your reading pleasure, a few of my most nagging pet peeves that were particularly bothersome yesterday:


I've been met with traffic jams on the highway every day on my way home for the past two weeks.  I've been driving the same route home from work five days a week for the past three years and have never seen this much traffic.  I hope it's just a coincidence.

I despise the people who put those ridiculous "Baby on Board" plaques on their car.  What are they thinking?  That people are obviously driving like morons on purpose and that everyone on the roads are out there with the sole intent to hurt their precious bundle of joy?  Please.  Accidents are called accidents for a reason.  Don't worry jerks, now that you've so cleverly pointed out that you have a baby on board, I'm going to pay special attention that I don't hit your car, not for the sole purpose of keeping myself out of danger, but because of your child.  I'll also be sure not to flip you off, since that plaque seems gives you the right to drive like an incompetent twit, lest I expose your little genius to some off-putting hand gestures.  Assholes.

Why does Panera Bread always run out of bread?  You'd think that if you were going to put the word "bread" in your business name that you would kind of make sure that you'd have a plentiful supply of it.  I would, at least, but that's probably why I do not own a bread company.  They probably shouldn't either. 

Who are the people that go into Starbucks and order their drinks a specific temperature?  "I'd like a non-fat, sugar free, extra dry, 140 degree latte, with your left kidney on the side in a to-go tray.  K, thanx."  Do they realize how pretentious that is? 

I don't mean to send my annoyances out into the void that is the internet, but sometimes it just helps.  They are all minor and trivial, but the summation of them becomes so overwhelming that I'll realize that I've just driven half of the 17 miles home from work without actually "seeing" where I was going, because I was so lost in angry thought.  Scary.  So, sorry if I've gotten anyone all up and arms, or contributed to your bad day, but I just need to get them out of my head.


When I got home yesterday, I grabbed my camera and took some photos of my rainy garden balcony.  It's pretty small and humble, but it makes me happy, and I guess that's all that really counts on days like this.  I've started a small herb garden and have my gardenias and hibiscus (below) that are still hanging in there despite my almost killing each of them at least once.  The gardenia in the green pot is new (which is why it looks the healthiest) and was in full bloom last week, which was perfection.  I took full advantage of the blooms and had them all over my apartment and desk at work. 

Sometimes, in a sea of annoyances and frustrations, it's little things like a fragrant flower blossom, a favorite song that had been buried in my itunes playlist and recently rediscovered, or a good movie that keep me out of the loony bin.  Thank goodness for the little things.


* by the way, said good movie was The Young Victoria.


blog comments powered by Disqus

Followers